1 Jun 2012

Train attack


On 26. Juni 1941. a hungarian passenger train under way from Tiszaborkút to Bilin was attacked by three soviet I-16 fighters.
This illustration was made for a study about the affair. I started with a pencil sketch then I finished it digital. The train and the locomotive was a newness for me but biggest challenge was the deadline, I had just a few hours more than one day from comission to the final version. Fortunately I got a lot of reference materials about the location and the train cars.

Train attack

Step by Step




I usually started with a pencil sketch.


I painted a fast color sketch based on the pencil drawing. I sent the color sketch for the customer for approving.



According to Csaba B. Stenge historican's advices I changed the direction of the attacking fighters.










1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr Pozsgay,

    Based on my knowledge of the region I would like to call your attention to the fact that the area you have depcited for this attack is not on the Tiszaborkút-Bilin, but the Tiszaborkút-Kőrösmező section of the railway, and therefore it is not at the part of it where the attack has taken place.
    Also, according to most of the historical data the attack invloved South-flying planes that only turned North on their way back from their attack.

    ReplyDelete